Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Talks

Nevermind that we haven't been in the ward more than a week. Or that there are hundreds of other possible candidates for speaking. Or that we'll be leaving this fair state in less than a month. Rob and I are giving talks on Sunday.

How did they even notice us sneak in??

Did I mention that this ward vomits into the overflow of the chappel EVERY Sunday? I'm not talking a few late stragglers here and there... no. A good half the gym is COMPLETELY filled. It feels like I'm in stake conference.

Do you think we might be in Utah??

Its a little nerve-wracking to think about speaking in front of a stake-conference-sized crowd of strangers.

I also have NO idea what I'm going to talk about. Usually I don't have this problem. I just slap together a bunch of stories from someone ELSE's life, squeeze in an inspiring poem or two and wrap it up with a little carisma. Voila! Instant talk! But this week the subject is on "How your service in the church has brought you closer to your Savior Jesus Christ."

Errrrr....

Memo to new bishop: I hate service!! No joke... I accept callings because every time I think aobut getting up enough nerve to REJECT one, I hear my mother's guilt ridden voice in my head telling me callings come from the Lord and that saying no is like giving a big fat slap in the face to the man upstairs. Hence, I just don't reject. BUT... if it was up to me I would just sit quietly in the back and twiddle my thumbs all through sacrament meeting and slip out the door before Sunday School, thank you very much. Easy schmeasy. So you can see how I don't have a lot of fodder for talk.


Rob said I should just try saying that I hate service. Riiiiight. That would go over well.


However, I DID just finished reading Harry Potter 7, and since I have nothing better to talk about during church, perhaps I'll just think of a way of how to incorporate HP into a talk about service. There's gotta be a connection in there somewhere...

7 comments:

Em T said...

If you want to have a good talk, you're about to embark on some serious soul searching. Because I promise you that if you have served in the church, even unwillingly, that you have received blessings. You are correct that you would have received more, and that they may have been more noticeable to you if you had enjoyed it, but I'm telling ya, you've received way more than enough blessings from service for a measly ten minute talk;)

Good Luck Woman!

PAul said...

Well, hate to break it to you Julie but you have just graduated from Law School and the time for being a pansy is over. Me on the other hand can be a pansy until I can get a woman to fall for me so that will be in never so I can be free for a long time!

Sondra said...

Julie, I AM THE SAME WAY!!! Hahaha I hate giving talks, prayers, insight, etc. I just like to sit and listen and not get involved. Same with callings too...I got called as the Primary Chorister and all I thought was..preparing every Sunday, singing (which I suck at), and having people rely on me? NO THANKS! But my mom and everyone else guilted me into it! It isn't as bad as I had thought but I'd still rather sit in the back and be unnoticed. So..I feel ya! Good luck though, you will do great, lawyers always know what to say :)

Julie said...

Em: thanks for the... um.... encouragement? Now that I totally feel guilty for not having noticed my many awesome blessings for church service before, I shall go forth and soul search!

Paul: I think graduation entitles me to a little bit of slackerness. Yup... it totally does!

Sondra: GOOOOOOOD!!! I'm so glad I'm not alone! I feel better now that I know I'm not the only one who would rather just slide by unnoticed, thank you very much. I'll have to let you know how the talk goes... if it is a total train wreck, I'm sure you'll be able to empathize with me!!

Em T said...

LOL. I was afraid it would make you feel bad, which I obviously don't want to do. But in the end, I hoped that you'd want someone to tell you that you've been blessed. It's not like any of us can claim that we've noticed ALL of God's blessings. Know what I mean?

Julie said...

Also, for clarification... its not like have haven't noticed my life being blessed... um, HELLO. I've noticed. Its the whole "closer to Jesus Christ" part that has me tripped up. Yup... not really feeling it (to get up an personal with the issue... which is probably more than you want to do!) Also I really loathe church callings... I wasn't kidding when I said I enjoy sitting in the back going quietly by unnoticed. That's usually not my MO, but for church, IT IS!

Paul said...

Ok so I guess I deserved this for making fun of you. I have to talk in church next week. I guess its just carma.