Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Updates!

Well, what to say, what to say! So much has happened recently, and yet I feel--as many of you probably inexplicably often feel--that I have nothing to write about! Alas, I shall just have to conjure something up to the best of my ability.

Update #1: I took the bar.

It seems strange that something so dreaded and so unwelcome in my life was over so quickly. In a matter of three short days (which I realize, yes, is quite long for a single exam, but is still quite short in the scheme of things) my entire existence for the past three years (give or take a few months) was reduced to my performance on one simple exam. And yes, that "simple" exam contained over 12 hours of writing essays, performance tests and 6 hours of brutally hard multiple choice questions, it seems strange that my past three years of life are resting so solidly on the completely unpredictable pass/fail ratio of a three day exam! Yikes. I will know on May 13th whether or not I passed. For those of you thinking, "So long?!" I echo your sentiments, although I understand that with over 1,500 people in my testing room alone (not to mention the other room full of occupants and 5ish other testing sites around the state of California) I think I understand the length of time devoted to grading. For now, I'm trying to enjoy the blissfully free feeling of my pass/fail ignorance while adamantly praying I will not have to face that exam for round two (or three for that matter!)

Update #2: Drove to Texas!
Ignore the fact that Rob and I (okay, just me, really) were unable to capture the beauty of both ourselves and the "Welcome to Texas" sign in one picture. At least no one can say we didn't TRY to capture that moment! Also you should think about ignoring the not-so-stylish, I'm-traveling-so-haven't-showered-greasy-windblown hair I'm sporting. Not cute. In fact, why I'm even posting this picture is kind of a good question. Comic relief, perhaps? Anyway... we drove to Texas. Actually the trip started in Utah, which happened to be one of the snowiest days of the year. Which is obviously due to well-known Murphy's Law that states: what can go wrong will go wrong. As a result, we ended up taking the southern I-70 route from Utah to Nebraska to avoid the wintery I-80 Wyoming road conditions. Its a route I don't recommend taking if at all possible. The 11-12 hour drive took us an unanticipated 16-17 hours to complete. Ugh. Google maps SO lied. Anyway, in Nebraska we packed all our junk into a moving truck (which thankfully, we did not have to drive), saw friends, played with my sissy Lisa and began the track to Texas. The drive from Nebraska to Texas was slightly more leisurely... we splurged and did the 14 hour trip in two days instead of one. Heehee. On the way down we frequently eyed the car's temperature reading, which steadily crawled upward the closer we got south. Temperature upon arrival: 80 degrees. [Sigh].

Update #3: Moved into New Apartment.

Rob and I both bore the hopeful jitters of all those who decide to rent an apartment online, sight unseen. We were optimistic that all would be well, considering the apartment was only a year or so old and we were the FIRST tenants EVER!! (A first for me...I've lived in many ghetto student housing complexes where I more likely than not the one thousandth tenant). Thankfully, the apartment is, well, perfect. Soft, squishy carpet, brand new paint, very shiny new black appliances and even a security system to boot. Yes, we were quite pleased! In fact, the only thing I do NOT like about the apartment is the proximity to the freeway, which can be a little noisey in the master bedroom sometimes. But I'm sure with time, even that will fade into blissful background music. Rob--who originally questioned my selection--has since recanted his doubt and placed me in charge of finding apartments for the little sales reps that will be coming out to work this summer to work for him. I would send pictures of said amazing apartment, but owing to the fact that we were forced against our will by Rob's "Boss Man" to get to Texas two days early, the moving company was unable to accommodate the accelerated schedule and all our stuff has not even arrived yet. I would feel bad posting indecent pictures of our apartment's nakedness online and hence, the "where I live" pictures will have to wait until a later date.

Update #4: I'm reading a Book.

I usually devour books. Even in law school I found that despite my busy schedule, I still couldn't make books last long enough. I just went through them like candy. Or chocolate cake, which I probably eat more of. Any-who, bar study was different. In law school, you generally knew what what kind of effort you did and didn't have to put in to pass. The bar?? You never know if what you've done is enough. As a result, most bar preparers probably kill themselves OVER-studying (at least that's what I'm hoping I did... it would be tragic to learn that all that effort was actually LESS than required...) And as a result of THAT, I didn't read nearly as much. I was book starved. Thus on my trip to California, I read two books. I am Number Four (which is, of course, better than the movie, even though the movie was still quite good), and The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton. I'd never heard of her but after Googling the book I realized that she has actually published quite a few books. I am happy to report that I have LOVED the Forgotten Garden and will probably check out other titles she has written. There are no swords or dragons in this book, so any action-hungry guy will probably be sorely disappointed. But for those of the feminine persuasion that enjoy a good mystery, this is your book! Anyway, here's to hoping that with my new found freedom stretching across the horizon, I will soon have more books to blog about!

That's all for now! The highlights of my recent life wrapped up into 4 small updates! I'm sure there is more, but for now, that's all I can think of and as the sun is setting, I'm finding I'm a little chilly sitting out here on my Houston porch. Guess it DOES get a little cool here now and again ( :

5 comments:

Sylvi said...

Fun! Wow Julie it sounds like everything is working out AMAZING for you. Oh tell Rob about us living by the train tracks. Its home for us not matter what, train or car music will be fine! Spring Break coould you bring some books out for me?? I'm feeling starved and deprived! [: Love you Julie!

Em T said...

You could have taken a pic of the new appliances;) They don't have to be decked out with your stuff. I loooooove new appliances. It's a sickness. Congrats on getting to TX in one piece.

Julie said...

Sylvi: certainly I'll bring some books for you! Any preferences?

Em: I'll try to post a microwave pic to curb your addiction.

Rob said...

So I know this is a little late on here but CONGRATS on taking the bar! Also congrats on the move to Houston (My old roommate Collin and his wife live in Houston) and congrats on a new apt and a new couch. All around, congrats! Say hi to Rob for me

Julie said...

Thanks Rob! I appreciate it!! Also, I'll be sure to pass on your hellos to, well, Rob ( :