Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Who me?.... he meant the other Julie, right?

HA! NO!! He did NOT mean the other Julie!

Today, friends, I experienced my first bout of what professors of law like to refer to as the "Socratic Method". In the layman's terms: teaching a class through an embarassing question and answer session. Sorry, it doesn't matter if you don't know the answer... the teacher will stare at you and ask more questions until you speak. The idea is to get you to come up with the answer on your own... or something like that anyway....

But what answers?! Yes, I did the reading, yes I took notes, and yes I looked up the words I didn't know... yes, yes, yes... I DID ALL OF THAT!! I'm sorry, I just can't help it that my mind went temporarily blank when you said "let's ask Julie what she thinks" in front of 70 other bloodthirsty first years all hoping to be number one in the class. If I can't remember how the United States Code, statute 1332 applies to "limited liability" Corporations as opposed to normal corporations and why that makes a difference in this case where the members of the corporation are from California, Mississippi and Arizona in a civil litigation case involving a plaintiff, who is a resident of California.

That all just slipped my mind when I hear the word "Julie." My bad.

8 comments:

Brady and Karen said...

Haha! What a poor teaching method! Just so you don't feel bad...we were all taught in our education classes that you should always give about 10-15 seconds to think before ever saying a name after asking a question, so students can formulate ideas before being put on the spot. Hmmm...it's possible you won't always have that much time as an attorney, eh? Yikes, though. I can feel the sweat building up with your description!

Julie said...

I wish we had that much time! 10-15 seconds sounds a lot better than 2!! oh well, though! It'll be funny once I've gotten over how embarrassing it was! Hee, hee! ( :

meagan said...

Wow. I'd be amazed at anyone who could answer that on the spot. Way to be in law school by the way!

alexandria said...

Way to handle that Julie!

Anonymous said...

Julie, I noticed a comment on Karen's blog asking how to include pictures. You can do it with Blogger, but the two easiest/fastest ways I've found are 1) create a slideshow at www.slide.com, and then when you're done, it will give you a line of code to copy and insert into your post so the slideshow will appear or 2) use Windows Live Writer, which is a free program you download (I have a link to it in one of the posts on my blog, or you can Google it) and use it to write the post, including intuitively inserted photos and hyperlinks, on your computer, and then it uploads the whole thing at once for you. You can even save it and come back to it later if you need to, or schedule a time for it to upload (maybe it's something you want everyone to see it first thing in the am, but you want to write it the night before?).

Good luck, and happy blogging!
Chrysta

Julie said...

Thanks Allie ( :

Kristen Cook said...

Wow! I had a dream last night that Jordan and I both decided to go to law school together! Thanks for killing that one for me before I thought too much about it ... seriously, thanks! I'm reading this entry and thinking about crying for YOU! Wow! I'm a baby! I wouldn't last two minutes in law school! Go you, babe!!! :o)

Julie said...

Hee, hee! Sorry for destroying that dream for ya, Kris!