Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dating Application Guy

I am currently married to the most awesome guy ever!! But lest be honest, those of you who know me, know that I had quite the dating history before I got married. For those of you who don't know me all that well... lets just say I had a LOT of fun! ( :

So I'm just sitting there chatting it up with my friend Aric today on facebook, and we're having a good laugh about his most recent blog post in which he revealed the very funny story of his first kiss. And I gotta tell you, it was hilarious!! But since his blog is full of dirty little secrets, and it's an exclusive "read by invitation only" sort of thing, I'll just have to leave it at that. ANYWAY... while we were chatting, one thing led to another, and pretty soon I'm spewing out all these funny stories I had while I was still on the dating prowl. One story in particular I thought was quite funny, and I decided to share it with everyone else via blog post!

This is the "Dating Application Guy," some of my favorite freshmen roomies might remember this one ( :

So there I was, a crazy little freshman sitting in one of those mass required classes that every little newbie has to take. You know, the Biology 101's or the English 110 classes? Yeah, one of THOSE classes. This particular class, I'm pretty sure, was American Heritage. Yes, all you BYU grads will remember that one quite well--most with horrific memories, no doubt! However, I do NOT look back on my American Heritage days with horror. On the contrary, I had Professor Holland: Many of you will recognize him from another familiar guy, well known and loved by all of us: Anyway, Professor Holland was amazing! I L-O-V-E-D his class! He was extremely entertaining. One day he had a couple of volunteers come up to the front of the class and have a dance off in MC Hammer pants for rights to a box of doughnuts. There was never a dull moment in that class!!

But anyway, I'm getting off topic... as fun as that class was, that is not the subject of my post today.

So I'm sitting there in class--American Heritage, minding my own business, just one in about 500 people in the class. And in walks a couple of upper classmen. One of them in particular, I noticed, was kind of cute! This was him. He didn't have a very wide selection of photos available on facebook, so I was forced to pick one where he was wearing sun glasses. You get the picture...

Anyway, so Yancy walks in with this other girl, and I keep my eye on him as they trek up to the front of the class and start giving some kind of announcement. I honestly can't remember what it was about... most of that stuff just went in one ear and out the other. I THINK it was about doing some service project, because as a recall, you are required to do a certain amount of service hours in order to pass American Heritage. A perfect target for all those on-campus service groups that are hurting for members--which I'm pretty sure this announcement came from. Anyway, I didn't really pay attention to all of this very well--I have to admit, I was mostly focused on the cutie named Yancy at the front of the room. From what I remember, the guy was pretty funny--cracking jokes through the whole presentation, etc.

Just my kind of guy!

Unfortunately, there was one little problem. Remember how I said I was in American Heritage and there was about 500 people in the class? Well, short of standing up and screaming at him, I was seriously doubting that I was going to be able to get Yancy's attention. And screaming probably wasn't the best option either. At this point I was thinking "date." Guys don't usually ask crazy girls out unless they feel sorry for them. And I wasn't interested in pity dates.

Dang it.

But then I was saved! To my delight, at the end, of the presentation, Yancy and his cohort started passing out little neon blue fliers with contact information on them. And I'm thinking: "Puurrrfect!" I nonchalantly grab one of the little blue fliers as they are being passed around, pretending I was interested in whatever it was that they had just spent the last 15 minutes trying to pitch to a bunch of rowdy freshmen. (To my credit, I actually did end up doing whatever it was that was on the flier... just for the record!)

Anyway, later that day I type out a short, but to the point email that says something along the lines of:

"Dear Yancy,

You don't know who I am, but you came to my class today (American Heritage) to give a presentation. I was just wondering... how does a girl get a date with you?

Sincerely,
Julie"

May I insert a comment here--I was NOT afraid to ask a guy out, as you can see! I was (and am) a very assertive person, and I had no qualms about asking a guy out if I was interested! Who said the guy gets to do all the choosing? Seriously girls, sometimes we just need to take things into our own hands!

Anyway, not so later that day/week... I can't remember how long it was before he got back to me. Not very long... anyway, his response went a little something like this:

"Dear Julie,

Funny you should ask, my roommates and I were just wondering how we were going to handle the sudden influx of girls that all want to date us. To make the process run a little bit more smoothly, we have attached a dating application. Please feel free to fill it out and send it back at your earliest convenience. We will get back with you on your results as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Yancy"

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I wish I still had a copy of that application! It was hilarious!! I found out later that after Yancy had access to all the student profiles on campus. Because of his job, he was able to look up anyone's personal profile. Needless to say, as soon as he got my email, he looked up my picture and all the information that BYU had in their data base about me. After determining that I was worthy of a response, him and his roomies all clamored around Yancy's computer and spent a couple hours coming up with this ridiculously funny dating application!

Of course, after receiving said dating application, I then sat around with all of MY roomies and filled out the dating application, and sent it back to Yancy. Needless to say, I got a date out of it. Several, actually! Yancy was a lot of fun! I have no idea where he is at now, but I do remember that we had a lot of fun while it lasted!

Anyway, that was one of my more memorable ways of asking a guy out. I have LOTS of funny stories where that one came from! I am considering posting a few more of the more noteworthy ones... We'll see!

Stayed tuned!

8 comments:

Steph said...

my favorite date story was the one that ended along the lines of "your eyes are lying to me"

good times.

Alice said...

I totally remember that. Funny :)

Julie said...

HAHA! Oh yeah, "your eyes are lying to me".... yes, I think posting a blog about that story is a MUST. I remember how you wanted me to repeat that story about 50 different times to each separate person in the LC. Never got boring, did it, eh Steph?! Heehee.

Natalie and Steve said...

You are ridiculous, but I LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

I'm still not sure how Rob convinced you to give up your life of crime...

Emily Gibbons said...

I think dating might be a little better if we were all a little more like you! :)

Julie said...

Em T.-I'm not sure how he convinced me to give it up either... Sometimes I'm convinced I was drugged, or maybe he was using his Jedi mind tricks on me or something... heehee! Jk, I love being married to Rob!

Em G.-Yes, yes... I always thought I had more fun dating than my roommates, but that was possibly cause I was biase! Who knows, though, maybe if everyone was like that it wouldn't be fun anymore. Maybe it was the fact that I was different that made it so fun! ( :

Farnsaki said...

I AM SO PROUD TO BE MENTIONED IN THIS BLOG!!!! :) :) :) And I can't get enough of the Yancy story. Even his name is classic, hahahahahaha!!!

I'm still waiting for MY Julie to send me an email... cuz so far it's not workin' out so well the way I'm trying to work it.