Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Nasty Neighbors

So I'll be honest.... we don't exactly live in the best neighborhood in town. Yes, I live almost directly across the street from the law school, where you would think that the neighborhood would be teaming with students.

Ha! Wrong!

More like teaming with illegal imigrants. Now I'm not the racist type of person or anything, but there is one little thing that I find wrong with Mexicans. Call it a "cultral flaw" if you will. Now this flaw is nothing too serious, in fact, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't bother Rob at all. But it bothers me!! Especially when we have Mexicans living on either side of our paper-thin-walled town house. You want to know what this flaw is? Well tough, I'm going to tell you anyway....

Its their obsession with loud, blarring Mariachi band music.

And when I say "loud and blarring" I MEAN "loud and blarring." It would be only a small annoyance if all I heard coming through the walls was the pounding beat of a bass drum. But I'm not quite so lucky. These guys BLAST their music so loud, that I can clearly hear EVERY SINGLE WORD. It's so loud, that when I go over to their house to ask them to turn their music down, they can't even hear me knocking on the door.

What's worse, is one of them is some kind of Mexican DJ, so not only do I get to hear loud, obnoxious mariachi music, but I get to hear variations of the mariachi music--slow down, speed up, stupid techno repeats, etc., etc. It's a nightmare.

Like I said, only a minor cultrual flaw, but one that is driving me absotlutely insane! I'm going to have to bust a move on their little fiesta one of these days!

2 comments:

Kristen Cook said...

Ha! Sounds like you have some Mexican clones of my husband living on either side of you! Jordan always complains when I turn down or off his music, but I'm always feeling one of these: "I can't understand Portuguese!" "I can't hear myself think!" "I can't stand listening to anymore teenager boys complain about their dads not being there for them or being in love with the girl that they go to school with that's dating someone that doesn't realize how important they are!" It's ridiculous! Branch out, listen to something new every now and then ... or just let ME listen to MY music once in a while! AHHH!!! This is obviously something that I've been thinking about for three years! :o) Good luck with the immigrants! :o)

Julie said...

Oh seriously! I think about this everyday... cause that's about how often the fiestas are happening!! It drives me NUTS!!!!

My sympathies go out to you... I can't imagine how annoying it must be to actually have to hear it in the same house as you!! Tell Jordan to go sit on a pin!!